Friday, September 28, 2012

What Retirement?

The retirement age of ADB (Asian Development Bank) is 60. I did not give much attention to it during induction briefing. As I approached 60, I asked myself, what retirement? Unproductive after 60? Whatever, I do not like the word! Isn’t the impression of a retiree generally physically fragile, mentally corroded and at times fairly inactive soul? If light-skinned with supposedly plenty of cash to spare, a person hanging around and taking pleasure of slack-life in southeast Asia. So I refuse to use the word, retirement – too laidback a word when my desire for getting better and base of curiosity are crisp.

 A year before approaching the magic number 60, I some what excitedly looked forward to life after ADB as a relocated and settled person: with full time at my disposal, playing golf, reading books, meeting relatives and friends and traveling around and taking life easy. As I approached more closer to 60, I read articles about people going under depression because of not being able to adjust their life styles. Nearer, I started to look back. The reflections were mainly of having to leave nicely adjusted work style, ethics and environment, and cross over to new mode. On the very next day of my 60th birthday, I wondered why I did not go to work while I was still on top-form in every sense of the word. I wrote my parting email to my ADB colleagues in Beijing:

“In pursuit of ….Happiness in the land of Gross National Happiness, the overarching philosophy guiding the Bhutan's development policy, based on four pillars: (i )sustainable economic development; (ii) preservation and promotion of culture and tradition; (ii) conservation of environment; and (iv) good governance. Development planners may argue if the high priority for culture and tradition, and conservation (preservation + protection) of environment will counter-balance in reality the high material aspiration of human being.
But still, for me a place worth spending my life after more than 19 years of ADB service.
The field of development excites me. I could not have asked for more than spending my last five years in China, where the real actions and huge events including Olympics, 60th Anniversary, and Shanghai Expo took place.
To you, I would like to express my deep appreciation for the many shared moments of friendship, learning and good work, and say what a pleasure it has been knowing and working with you!
And, thank you for your good words and birthday cakes and wishes.
Sangpa
PS: Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value - Albert Einstein”

           For about a year, relocation and settlement, golf, relatives and friends, books, internet, travel around Bhutan and "take-it-easy" filled my days. By some definition, a man of success? Well, to an extent, many here would say yes! Did I try too hard for it sacrificing my man-of-value virtues? I say no but do not know what the others' say. To me a person of value means you are of value to your own existence first, and then to the existence of others. How do you get to that? One way is through inspiration.

“ We have a strong, committed parliament today, but my worry is in the future, whether our best and brightest people will come forward in order to serve the nation through politics.” His Majesty Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuk, 17 Dec 2011.

This is a strong message from the King to the Bhutanese youth. But the youth of today need to be influenced, that takes effort and years for setting some kind of trend. For them trend is their friend. So, is politics the proper arena for initiating such a influence-thread (which I am not at all sure) and pursuing my values? I mean, my individual values, the way I look at it. I studied civil engineering instead of political science, have no experience in, and am not trying to make a career out of politics. And, I am no good at talking something without meaning it. But I am looking for platform, a political platform, to make some contribution for the good of the people and country - serve the nation in the words of His Majesty. Will it make me a politician? It does not bother me either way. Because it will not affect my values, certainly not in five years, as long as I am within the periphery of my own man-of-value virtues.


The value contribution is not about solving all the problems, not even finding answers to critical ones. If found, well and good. The contribution can come in a smallest form to make a difference down the road. It may be in terms of avoiding small mistakes or influencing correct decision making: good ideas do not die, and have no date for expiration. But good ideas need deep space and mature environment to blossom. My main concern!

2 comments:

  1. 'A politician thinks of the next election - a statesman of the next generation.' - James Freeman Clarke

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tshogpa predicament: http://www.kuenselonline.com/2011/?p=37522
    More than 300 tshogpa posts vacant despite Nu 5,000 monthly salary. Is it about remuneration? I think its more about proper space and environment.

    ReplyDelete